Rick Huckstep and Shaun Weston rummage through a few of the pundits' top technology forecasts for 2023.
👻 Turn your audience into a business
Ghost is a powerful app for new-media creators to publish, share, and grow a business around their content. It comes with modern tools to build a website, publish content, send newsletters & offer paid subscriptions to members.
Listen to Episode #16 on Spotify
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Anchor | Pandora | Google Podcasts | Castbox | Deezer | Pocket Casts | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Subscribe to Newsletter
🌎 For all show notes, background links and everything to do with the show, go to the Big Tech Little Tech website.
Are you a recovering Twitter user? Have you found a new way to discover news and other people’s views – perhaps on Mastodon – or are you starting the new year with a clean slate? Rick and Shaun have found Mastodon difficult to embrace, and Rick still holds a candle to Twitter.
“I’ve changed my view on this whole idea of decentralised social media, because the thing with Twitter is that it's one giant chat room, everybody's there,” says Rick. “And you've gone to this massive party and everyone that you're ever likely to want to see, dance with, chat with, find out from, overhear and listen to – you know, hear the gossip from – they're all in one place. With Mastodon, it's like lots of little rooms and you've got to decide which one you want to be in, and you don't know what's going on in the other room.”
3:23 Tempting Tech
- January means CES – the annual Consumer Electronics Show – which takes place in Las Vegas in the US. Our hosts will talk more about the show in episode 17, but Rick wanted to drop some interesting Samsung technology into this show. The company revealed the Bespoke AI Oven and Bespoke 4 Door Flex refrigerator. The oven can optimise settings based on what's cooking, and you can monitor cooking on your phone. letting you know when dinner’s ready. The fridge has a 32in display!
- Exciting Shaun is the news that Mui Board by Mui Lab (previewed in 2017) may hit the market this year. Since Matter was launched as a smart home standard, Mui Board has come to life. The reason for this is that the company no longer has to spend time and money trying to integrate with multiple platforms. Simply put, Matter enables smart devices from different companies to communicate with each other.
7:32 Tech News
- Apple Japan is being charged 13 billion yen ( about $98m) in additional taxes for bulk sales of iPhones and other Apple devices to foreign tourists that were incorrectly exempted from the consumption tax.
- A breakthrough surgical device called the iKnife can diagnose womb cancer within seconds. Researchers at Imperial College London tested it on 150 women and the results showed that it had an accuracy rate of 89%. The device is already used to treat breast and brain cancers and the team plans to launch a major clinical trial that could lead to widespread usage.
- BMW has turbo-boosted its iX Flow concept. The car that could change its panels between white, black and grey now has a range of colours. The car uses E Ink’s low-power display technology. Who knows if the car will ever make it to market.
08:24 Tech 2023 Predictions
What are the most popular technology forecasts for 2023?
It seems that everyone has been busy over the holidays making forecasts for 2023. The technology pundits have thrown their hats into the ring to predict what will take centre stage this year, and many pundits are lazily copying other pundits. We're not going to do that on this show.
- All things metaverse (again) Charles Radclyffe joined us to talk about metaverses in Episode 4. He described use cases in health and safety training that made a lot of sense.
- Cybersecurity: Gartner says that 65% of the world’s population will have personal data covered under modern privacy regulations, up from 10% in 2020.
- Robots, robotics, automation and AI.
- What about health tech in 2023? ChatGPT in healthcare. Jennifer Marichak wrote a piece on LinkedIn about how ChatGPT could improve patient communication, as well as language translation.
- MacBooks vs iMacs? Will Rick switch to using a desktop computer instead of his disappointing M1 MacBook?
- A word or two about our new look for 2023 Shaun was busy over the festive period working on the a rebrand for Big Tech Little Tech. Rick shares some kind words.
Whether you're just getting started or are an experienced developer, DigitalOcean has the tools and resources you need to bring your ideas to life. Explore DigitalOcean today and see how it can help you build, deploy, and scale your next great project.
Transform Blog Articles Into Videos: Start by adding the blog article URL and Fliki powered by AI will summarise your content, find perfect visuals and create a video with a human-like voiceover in your desired voice with branded subtitles.
People spend 88% more time on websites with videos
Try Revolut Premium for free for 3 months!
☕️ Buy Me A Coffee
Readers often ask me how they can show their appreciation for Wiser!
Here's a way...Buy me a coffee.
BuyMeACoffee is a donation service that makes it real quick and easy for supporters like you to make a one-off or repeat donation and show their appreciation. Virtual coffees are priced at €2 each.